Sometimes exercising indoors is your only option, but it doesn't have to be boring. Keep workouts interesting with these ideas.
Exercising outdoors isn’t always practical due to time constraints or inclement weather. But that doesn’t give you a free pass to skip a workout altogether. Stay active when you have to be indoors with these six suggestions.
- Exercise at home to a DVD or television program. Many cable-television providers have an "on demand" exercise channel from which you can access fitness programs.
- Log some miles by walking at your local mall. Most malls open early for walkers. There may even be a mall-walking club to join.
- Put on some music and dance in your living room. Or better yet, improve your moves by enrolling in a dance class at your local community center or adult-education program. There are many options available, from ballroom dancing to hip-hop, Zumba, salsa and belly-dancing.
- Try something new at your gym. Take the opportunity to try a new class at your gym, or rediscover an old favorite. The options are endless: kickboxing, Pilates, weight training, yoga, spinning and more.
- Take advantage of indoor facilities. Swim laps in the pool, log some miles on the treadmill, or find a partner and play a game of racquetball. Reward yourself with time in the steam room.
- Build strength by using the weight machines at your local fitness center. If you don't belong to a fitness center, build strength at home by using hand weights or resistance bands.
Don’t forget that every effort to move more gets you one step closer to a happier, healthier lifestyle. Exercising indoors may not always be ideal, but keep your weight loss goals in mind when motivation is lacking!