Staying hydrated during the warm summer months is an important part of enjoying the season. Whether your plans include more walks or bicycle rides, soaking up the sun, or taking that long-awaited vacation, make sure you drink enough water to stay hydrated. This is necessary as it will keep your body—and mind—functioning at its best. So, how do you know if you’re drinking enough water? Let’s tap into the facts and explore some of the best tips to keep you hydrated all summer long.
Water is critical to overall health. Every cell, tissue and organ in the human body relies on it to function properly. According to the Mayo Clinic, water makes up about 50 percent-to-70 percent of body weight. So, how can losing just a fraction of water negatively affect your body and mind? It’s all about dehydration; when your body doesn’t have enough water to perform normal functions. Water is critical to your health, because it:
For the average healthy adult, the general recommendation for water intake is eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day—or 64 ounces. Everyone’s needs vary, however, depending on their activity level and even the climate in which they live. So, how much water do you actually need to drink in order to stay hydrated? Here are some general guidelines, according to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine:
Here are some factors to consider:
Now you know how much water you need to drink for optimum hydration. But how do you hit the mark without falling short? Here are some quick tips to ensure you’re getting your ounces in:
Fun fact: Approximately 20 percent of your fluid intake comes from food—with the remaining 80 percent from beverages. This is great news for those who love their fruits and veggies! Check out these foods that are delicious as well as hydrating:
Even with the best intentions and effort, dehydration can occur—especially while you’re having fun in the summer sun. Here are some important signs to look for:
If you or someone you’re with is experiencing signs of dehydration, the first thing to reach for is—you guessed it—a glass (or two) of water. Yes, water is the best when it comes to hydration. If your body is depleted of nutrients and electrolytes, however, you may want to try these other options that will have you replenished and hydrated in no time:
When it comes to proper hydration, regulating a healthy body temperature goes hand in hand with drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Here are some great tips to help you stay cool—and look cool—this summer:
Did you know you can eat an unlimited number of veggies on the New Mayo Clinic Diet? As you learned from this blog, there is an abundance of vegetables that can help keep you hydrated as you eating healthy and nutritious meal and snacks. Now, that’s a good reason to eat all your veggies—and then some!
The New Mayo Clinic Diet’s flexible meal plans not only fit into any lifestyle, but they are healthy and easy to plan for. With easy-to-find ingredients that are light on your wallet—combined with quick prep times—you’ll be saving money and eating delicious meals while losing weight. Plus, the New Mayo Clinic Diet features a food tracker, so you can document all your meals.
Our team of dietitians has developed five different meal plans which allow you to find and follow an eating style that suits your taste and diet preferences. The new Mayo Clinic Diet meal plans encourage eating unlimited servings of fruits and vegetables throughout the day. The sky’s the limit on how you choose to snack on them!
Wondering what a “day on a plate” looks like? Have a look at a sample of the Original Mayo Clinic Diet meal plan.
Take Our Free Diet Assessment
Take our 3-minute assessment to discover how your mindset can set you on the right path for weight loss.